Friday, March 20, 2009






Module III: Podcast Script

Do You Have Game?

Complete Show Length in Minutes:

Episode 1: Topic: Violence in video games and are they addicting.

Music Clip: Title: “Blow Me Away” Breaking Benjamin, Halo 2 Soundtrack. 30 seconds

Intro: Do You Have Game: Time: 1 minute

Hello, this is Jaclyn Delbrugge, and thanks for choosing to listen to this podcast, Do You Have Game. Today, I will discuss if video games promote and cause violence, and are they addicting? As a gamer myself, I do not believe that video games cause violence, but later on in the show, I am going to interview a ‘recovering’ gamer to see what his view is on aggressive behavior that is associated with kids playing video games, and also, if he believes that video games are addicting enough that is causing the rise of obesity in children. Are these games causing violence? Playing games like Halo, Call of Duty, or Doom; do they increase aggressive thought or behavior? Whats the difference between playing violent games or watching violent movies or playing sports, do all three promote aggressive behavior or is it exclusively to video games.

Segment 2 Clip: Super Mario Theme Song. 30 seconds

Segment Title: Addiction and violence. Time: 3 minutes

According to Indiana University of Medicine, a recent find found that brain scans of kids who played violent video games showed an increase of emotional activity in the amygdale, part of the brain that is involved in emotional arousal, and a decrease of activity in brain areas involved in self-control and attention. Does this find mean that after playing a violent game, a teen will go on a shooting frenzy? Probably not, I feel this only shows that parents should be aware of the relationship between violent games and the role they may play on adolescences emotions. This means that you, yes you, the parent should read the age label on the game box and pick what is appropriate of what your child should play. Children playing video games should be treated with the same caution as if you would allow them, if you feel if they are old enough or mature enough, to watch an R rated movie. It’s all about the child learning self-control and the parent being responsible enough to teach the difference between situations in a video game and real life experiences.



Here today, I have with me Robert McKelvie, who is an ex gamer. He is here to explain his experience with playing video games and how he was addicted to them.
Me: Hello Robert and thank you for being here.
Robert: No problem, thanks for having me on.
Me: Robert, please tell me about your experience with playing video games?
Robert: Well, I first started playing around the age of 12. I started with games like Mortal Combat and Mario and then going through high school, I started playing online RPG games like World of War Craft.
Me: Please explain RPG?
Robert: It means Role Playing Game. These are the type of games you assume the role of a fictional character. Like in World of War Craft (WOW) for example, you create a character, give it a name, and you basically run around completing quests. The cool thing about WOW is that it’s online so you can meet new people and friends.
Me: Did you play WOW a lot?
Robert: Yeah, like everyday. I was addicted.
Me: How much did you play?
Robert: Everyday, I probably average 8 hours on a school night and on the weekend, if I can pull it off, 24 hours. I would play as much as I can, fall asleep, wake up and play.
Me: Now did this effect school.
Robert: Of course. I’m lucky I graduated high school with decent grades.
Me: Do you believe that these games are addicting?
Robert: Yes.
Me: Now that we know a little about Robert and a bit of his past with gaming, after this break, we will continue our discussion and get a more depth view of why these games are addicting.
Segment 3 Clip: “Zestubou Billy”, Maximum The Hormone. 30 seconds

Segment 3 Title: Recovery. Time: 2 Minutes

Me: Ok everyone we are back and ready to rock and roll. Robert, can you tell me why you believe that these games are addicting?
Robert: Really, I don’t know why I found myself addicted to these games, especially to WOW. Sometimes you just get so lost in their own world that you lose sense that you are living. I mean that in these RPG games, you become the character so it feels like you are living that fake life.
Me: So you feel like you’re in control while playing these fake characters lives?
Robert: I guess so.
Me: Is that why these are addicting? You are in control of these fictional character lives but not in control of your own.
Robert: That may be so. While playing these games, going through adolescence, you go through a whole bunch of problems dealing with home and school, so these games may be an outlet for kids pushing their emotions through. Humans like to feel to be in control, so when your life may be out of control, you have a video game that will give you the power to do what you want in a fictitious life.
Me: That’s an interesting way to look at it. What about obesity. Do you believe video games are a cause to the obesity problem in American youth?
Robert: I don’t think so because I was addicted and I’m 6 foot and weigh about 156 lbs.
Me: Coming to the big question, do you think that video games promote violence?
Robert: I don’t believe they do but video games do stir up emotions. Of course, people get upset when they lose, or happy when they win, but I don’t think that it will stir up enough rage to cause violence. This is where parents step in and should know what is appropriate for their child to play.
Me: I 100% agree with you. Thank you, for being here today with us Robert.

Do video games cause violence? Maybe we will never know, but if the parents will have a more active role in their children lives we may not have these problems with violence and video games or obesity.
Ending Clip: “Season”, Lincoln Park, Meteora. 30 Seconds

3 comments:

  1. you gave the listener enough info at the begining of the segment. but i feal you let it drag out to much.
    For the most part i didn't find any problems with your Grammer.
    the script diffently shows how your haveing a conversation with him and not just asking questions,....... like me XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the topic is really good. The interview questions were great but again, it's a bit too long. Some questions were short or some responses were too short. The music selection is really good. Especially the Super Mario Theme song.

    I didn't find any grammatical errors. The podcast was really good, especially the music selection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your interview went well, it gave the reader a good amount of information about the topic, the questions were well related and his answers were detailed, but i think that you should focus less on the interview and more on you talking so it doesn't seem like a talk show rather then a podcast.
    I didn't find anything wrong with your grammar

    Also, i believe that your podcast flowed well. Everything seemed to fit together.

    ReplyDelete